Building The Genesis Invitational field
In February 2019, PGA TOUR Commissioner Jay Monahan announced alongside Tiger Woods that the 90-plus year event played annually at The Riviera Country Club will become an invitational beginning with the 2020 tournament.
One of the key elements of the tournament being elevated to an invitational is a reduction of field size from 144 players to 120 players, making it even more special to tee it up at Riviera. Below are the different accolades that can earn players an invitation to The Genesis Invitational this February.
- Winners of The Genesis Invitational in the last 5 years (2015 – 2019)
- Winners of the Masters Tournament, THE PLAYERS Championship, U.S. Open, The Open Championship and PGA Championship in the last five years (2015 – 2019)
- Winners of the TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP in the last two years (2017 – 2018)
- Winner of the FedExCup for the 2018-2019 season
- Winners of the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play, WGC-Mexico Championship, WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational and WGC-HSBC Champions in the last three years (2017 – 2019)
- Winners of the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard and the Memorial Tournament in the last 3 years (2017 – 2019)
- PGA TOUR tournament winners since the previous season’s Genesis Invitational
- Winner of the 2019 U.S. Amateur Championship
- Current PGA TOUR members who were playing members of the last–named U.S. and European Ryder Cup teams (2018) and the U.S. and International Presidents Cup teams (2019)
- The top 125 players from the 2018-2019 FedExCup points list
- The top 10 players from the 2019-2020 FedExCup points list as of February 3, 2020
- The Charlie Sifford Memorial Exemption recipient
- The Genesis Invitational Collegiate Showcase winner
- Tournament exemptions
- If necessary, to complete a field of 120, the remainder of players will be comprised of players who have not qualified via a category above and are ranked below 10th in the current year’s FedExCup points list as of February 3, 2020, in order of their positions on the list.